MERCEDES, Ohio — Ford will stop making new cars for 2019, its chief executive officer said Tuesday, ending more than three decades of production at the American automaker.

    “Ford will no longer produce new cars in the U.S.,” Jim Hackett wrote in a letter to investors.

    The automaker will also “evaluate” the future of its North American operations, he wrote.

    Ford, which has been at the center of a legal dispute with President Donald Trump’s administration over the use of a Russian-made engine, said in September that it plans to build fewer vehicles in 2019 and 2020 than it had planned in 2019.

    The company said it would save $1.5 billion on vehicles.

    Ford and its chief rival General Motors Co. said in October that they would phase out the production of new Ford Focus electric and plug-in hybrids.

    “The Ford Focus is not a luxury vehicle.

    It is not designed for leisure, but instead a highly efficient and fuel-efficient alternative to conventional cars,” the company said in a statement.

    The Ford Focus, which had a production start date of 2019, was a model with a long history of success.

    Ford sold more than 2 million cars in 2021, according to its most recent quarterly earnings report.

    Its 2019 forecast was up about 9 percent from the previous year.

    Ford’s 2017 annual report showed the automaker had sold 1.5 million vehicles last year.

    It also said the company had been the top automaker in sales for the past two years.

    Ford said in the letter that the company would “evaluate the future availability of its products in 2019, 2020 and 2021.”

    RELATED ARTICLES